|Echo soundings of the deep basin by the Salem State University geologist Brad Hubeny and colleagues recently revealed about 30 feet of mud dating from the birth of the pond. Continue reading ... At Walden Pond, the ecological changes revealed in the|
|... a big tidal sediment bank called the Lavan Sands. Marco used gamma spectrometry to show that the bulk sample had a radioactivity of 390 kBq/kg (390,000) with signals from Caesium-137 and Americium 241. A Becquerel is one disintegration per second.|
|Sediment samples taken from Reynolds Channel and nearby waters in early 2013 to gauge the impact superstorm Sandy had on the environment yielded a radioactive surprise -- the element cesium-137. Experts say the cesium deposits were likely from decades|
|To determine the age of the sediments, the researchers used radiometric dating with cesium-137. Above-ground nuclear testing in the mid-20th century left behind the cesium-137 compound as a marker in sediments throughout the world. Based on how deep |
|These radionuclides act as markers in the soil or sediment and can then be used to trace the movements of such material. Of these, 137Cs fallout has been used widely in erosion studies, as it tends to be firmly attached to the fine particles in soil or|
|On the basis of well-known physics relationships we can say that 3μSv/h at 1m above ground represents a surface contamination of about 900,000 Bq per square metre of Cs-137. That is, 900,000 disintegrations per second in one square metre of surface.|
|One method has been to enlist carbon dating to approximate the age of the liquid in a bottle, but this can prove imprecise. Instead of looking for carbon, a variation on this approach searches for the isotope cesium-137, an artificial form of|
- Mysterious 'Planet X' hurtling towards Earth could trigger deadly ...
- Fukushima site still leaking after five years, research shows
- Students Earn Awards At Falmouth Academy's Science Fair
- Mum tells of horror after son lured in Grindr extortion ring died by suicide
- There's no cheap date in Zurich, Deutsche Bank tells us
- 'KUWTK': Kim Kardashian Flips Out on 'F**king Loser' Scott Disick, Tells Kourtney to 'Move On'
- Finally, The First Home Pregnancy Test That Tells You How Pregnant You Are
- He played best when he was wild and free. Now Dale Kickett's jumper tells a Freo story.
- Climate Experts Blast New York Times in Open Letter
- The Fully Deployed JWST Mirror Gets Ready for a NASA Style Dusting